About the Website
This website is an image index of Alex Fischer's art practice. Most things seen here also exist as either a print or unique object like a painting or sculpture. You can find information about available works on Artsy.net or email for more information.
Alex Fischer's art practice gives rise to a variety of styles. Each piece is wrought into existence through techno-biological happenstance and a mixture of conscious and unconscious actions. They are perhaps best first understood as an ethos that aesthetic experience can inspire understanding and transformation. In the studio Fischer discovers stories and compositions in the flow and leaves trace of their origins, contexts, and impressions. As pixels on a screen and pigment on paper, wood, and canvas, all views are considered views of the real thing.
- 2017 — Museum of Drug Policy, HRI Conference, Centre Mont-Royal, Montréal
- 2016 — RBC Canadian Painting Competition, The Power Plant, Toronto
- 2016 — Trace ‧ Copy ‧ Render, Circuit Gallery @ Prefix ICA, Toronto
- 2016 — Dynamic Exchange, Thompson Hotel, Toronto
- 2015 — 1, 7, and 6000, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto – Solo
- 2014 — Peinture fraîche, Art Mur, Montréal
- 2014 — Simulators II, Angell Gallery, Toronto
- 2013 — Dry pixels and Wet Molecules, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto – Solo
- 2013 — Exhibit 28, gallerywest, Toronto
- 2013 — Translation, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto
- 2012 — Beyond The Fall, Galerie BAC, Montréal – Solo
- 2012 — Alex Fischer, VOLTA NY, New York – Solo
- 2012 — Beyond The Fall, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto – Solo
- 2012 — Simulators, Angell Gallery, Toronto
- 2011 — Open Spaces, Art Toronto, Toronto
- 2011 — Front Line, PIP Festival, Pingyao, China
- 2010 — Smarter Today, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto – Solo
- 2010 — 131, O'Born Contemporary, Toronto
- 2010 — Synaesthesia, Propeller Centre for Visual Arts, Toronto
Talks and Interviews
- 2014 — *VIDEO* Artists Talk for OCAD Universities DPXA Atelier.
- 2013 — The Art of Alex Fischer, by Harley Young, in Faint Magazine.
- 2013 — *.PDF Alex Fischer "Adaptations" by Rachel Anne Farquharson. Carousel Magazine, Issue 30.
- 2013 — Visiting Artist Talk at OCAD University
- 2012 — *VIDEO* Alex Fischer interviewed by Barbara Isherwood on ArtSync TV.
- 2012 — Creative Process: Alex Fischer, Interview by Jessica Carroll, Toronto Standard.
- 2012 — Featured Artwork and Interview (PDF), MOSSLESS, Issue 2. Print.
- 2011 — Alex Fischer: Smarter Today, Rachel Farquharson for Art Barrage
- 2010 — *.PDF Interview with Noel Rodo-Vankeulen, excerpt from artist book W9.
- 2009 — The Toronto Portraits: Alex Fischer, BlogTO. July 14. Web.
- 2017 — The Shattering Return Of Idealism In Contemporary Art (english), Chardon Magazine. Web.
- 2016 — RBC Canadian Painting Competition, James Adams for The Globe and Mail. Print/Web.
- 2016 — 15 Finalists in RBC Canadian Painting Competition, Canadian Art. Web.
- 2015 — Artist Profile, Fshn Unlimited, Issue 3. Print.
- 2015 — Pixelist, Collaboration with Alex Fischer. Web.
- 2015 — Artoronto, Alex Fischer at O'Born Contemporary. Web.
- 2013 — Featured on i like this art. Web.
- 2012 — Building on the History of Painting through Digital Layering, Erin Treacy for The Painting Imperative
- 2012 — Bavarian State Opera, Featured Artwork. Max Joseph Nr. 3 img/alex-fischer-12. Print.
- 2011 — ArtBarrage Scene, Alex Fischer
Smarter Todayby Rachel Anne Farquharson. January 13. Web.
- 2011 — Beautiful/Decay, Venus Beach House. Book 5: Psychonauts. Print.
- 2011 — CMDJ, Artist Portfolio. Issue 1. Online Magazine.
- 2011 — Doze Magazine, Alex Fischer: Viaje Al Espacio Interior. Issue 5: Visionär. Online Magazine.
- 2011 — Frontline: Interviews with International Contemporary Photo Artists. Xiandai Press, Beijing. Print.
- 2011 — Painted, Etc., Feature and writeup by Ry David Bradley. January 26. Web.
- 2011 — ROJO zehn sense forever, Featured Work. Print.
- 2011 — The Walrus, Featured Work, June 2011. Print.
- 2010 — Alex Fischer (W9). Published and Designed by Wassenaar: Brampton. Print.
2010 B.F.A. Honours in Visual Arts, York University, Toronto, Canada
A heartfelt thank you to those who have helped make this possible: family, friends, techs and fabricators, as well as the generous patronage of BNY Mellon, Donald O'Born, Eqitable Bank, Leith Wheeler, Shrigley Battrick, Statoil, and TD Bank Group.
aesthetics AI Diana Al-Hadid Jaime Angelopoulos anthropic principle architecture Artography ASI assemblage atemporal Tauba Auerbach Melanie Authier authority awesome immersion Barth Baudrillard Amelia Bauer Nadia Belerique Alex Bierk black body Jesse Boles Shary Boyle Sascha Braunig Michel De Broin Laura Brothers Matthew Brown Marianne Burlew Judith Butler Sarah Cale Robert Canali capitalism Arturo Castro chance chaos Ian Cheng cinema Joshua Citarella clone Amanda Clyne collage Miles Collyer commodity communications consciousness construct consumption context Petra Cortright crime fiction Sterling Crispin critical theory Liam Crockard Adam Cruces cultural studies culture Robyn Cumming Sara Cwynar Cyberbalkanization cyberspace cyborg dada daesin Robert Davidovitz Jason Deary Baptiste Debombourg decentring Deleuze Nicholas DeMarco Derrida desire Georgia Dickie difference differend digital discontinuity discourse earnestness Jessica Eaton ecological perspective Leanne Eisen Elicser enlightenment ethics ethnicity evasive maneuvers Scott Everingham existentialism expanded painting fashion feminism Brendan Fernandes Adam Ferriss film studies flesh Nika Fontaine Cam Forbes Foucault fragment Freud genre Ian Gerson Sky Glabush globalization Steven Goetz Francisco-Fernando Granados grand narratives Eliza Griffiths Guattari Joe Hamilton Lewis Hammond Harari Harris Hassan Hegel hegemony Heidegger hermeneutic circles Colleen Heslin Dil Hildebrand Layne Hinton history holistic integration Thrush Holmes Tilman Hornig humanism Brian Hunter Hanna Hur Husserl Lili Huston-Herterich hybridity hyperreality identity inclusive indeterminacy individual interdisciplinary imagination interpretation intersubjectivity irony Jay Isaac James Jean Rachel De Joode jouissance Jamian Juliano-Villani Felix Kalmenson Lauire Kang Kant Melike Kara Matt Keegan Jason Khan Kierkegaard Alex Kisilevich Tarik Kiswanson knowledge Brendan George Ko Karen Kraven Lacan language Oliver Laric Rick Leong Derek Liddington logocentrism Erin Loree Paul Luziano Katie Lyle Matt Macintosh Marx Alexandra Majerus Vanessa Maltese Jen Mann Isabel Martinez Edith Maybin Scott Mcfarland Abby Mcguane Alex Mcleod McLuhan Kate McQuillen meaning mediation meditation Merleau-Ponty meta-narrative metacognition metonymy metropolis mimesis modernism John Monteith moral courage Kristine Moran Jenny Morgan Keita Morimoto morphological analysis Faye Mullen Brenna Murphy Andrea Nacciarriti narrative nature neurosis new media Nietzsche nihilism Katja Novitskova Rafael Benjamin Ochoa Anders Oinonen origin/copy Athena Papadopoulos parody pattern Oliver Pauk Lauren Pelc-McArthur performance philosophy play polycultural post-colonialism post-digital poststructuralism power Zeesy Powers practice production psychic masochism Nicholas Pye Nathalie Quagliotto queer theory radical democracy rationality Real realism reason reference Susana Reisman relativism representation resolution responsive compassion rhizome Jeanie Riddle Brian Rideout Tabor Robak Genevieve Robertson Noel Rodo-Vankeulen Tony Romano romanticism Jillian Kay Ross Rachel Rossin Caitlin Rueter Andrew Rutherdale sampling Sartre Saussure Jasper Savage Callen Schaub Claire Scherzinger Jenn Sciarrino schizoanalysis Lina Scheynius Callum Schuster science self-reflexivity semiotic communication semiotics sexuality Claire Sherman signification silence Avery Singer simulation Candaş Şişman Justine Skahan Margaux Smith sociology Soft Turns solipsism sorge ME Sparks Jasper Spicero spiritual emergence Matthew Stone Tim Stoner structuralism Beth Stuart style subjectivity surface/depth synchronistic syncretism technology television Angela Teng Jessica Thalmann theatre theology geetha thurairajah Stanzie Tooth tradition Brad Troemel Winnie Truong truth Brian Ulrich unconscious Sandra Vaka Julia Vandepolder versions Michael Vickers Artie Vierkant virtuality Tobias Williams Wittgenstein Margo Wolowiec Qiu Yang Žižek Elizabeth Zvonar